Monday, January 10, 2011

Cluttered Spirituality?

In ABF yesterday morning, we were challenged to look at ways that we "complicate" our relationship with Christ.  For me, everything stems from clutter.  I find that my clutter is what interferes with my spirituality.  When I try to spend quiet time with God, my mind wanders to all of the things on my to-do list and my eyes see all the stuff around that needs to be dealt with, so my prayers then become consumed with me...help me de-clutter, help me get control of my life, help me to find ways to teach the kids not to be like me, etc.

I also find that the clutter in my life tends to be what brings my bad character traits to the surface.  I get upset with the kids for not cleaning up their stuff.  I get irritated at my husband when he wants to talk about why the house is such a mess.  Clutter is the nemesis of the Fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, and self-control.  Maybe rather than focusing on removing the clutter to see the fruit, I should focus on the spirit and the fruit will help the clutter dissipate....hmmm?! Interesting thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment